Beano was tagged by Krisanne in Facebook, but he couldn’t come up with 25 things that humans would find interesting. So here is my first meme of 2009. I think some people would know some of these things, but I don’t think any one person would know all of these things.
- I once had a job in Australia pretending to buy product from an Irish guy selling knock-off perfume on the street. There was a few of us switching various accessories like hats and sunglasses and playing along with the script. It was a real eye-opener watching consumers behave like sheep.
- Over the years I’ve spent New Year’s Eve in Scotland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Cuba, Canada, and USA. Notable ones: Christchurch, New Zealand (I was hitch hiking with three Kiwi guys), and New Orleans, USA (it was hit by arsonists).
- My father’s real family name, the name on my birth certificate, the name I graduated with in high school, and the name on my current passport are all different from each other. I also have an official UK document in one of my expired passports with another name.
- I have a scar on my left leg from a near drowning in an oceanside cave in Australia. The tide was crashing in gigantic waves and washed out my exit from the cave; I was trapped inside until a couple from Brisbane came and rescued me.
- I’ve been spat on (and not by accident).
- I wouldn’t eat bananas growing up, but I’ve learned to like them as an adult, as long as they’re not fully ripe. They make a quick, nourishing meal when I’m on the run. But overripe bananas still make me gag.
- I was bitten by a small dog once, and have been a little apprehensive of dogs ever since.
- I would like to donate blood, but I’m disqualified due to previous residency in the UK.
- I never tried seafood until I was 18 years old for religious reasons, but didn’t actually enjoy it until I was 20 when a random stranger, who picked me up on his bicycle when I was walking home late one night in northern Australia, took me into his home and made me a seafood marinara. I was so hungry it tasted like the best meal of my life. I never saw him again.
- I’ve had food poisoning three times: street vendor hot sauce in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, a green curry gone bad at office lunch on the Sunshine Coast (BC), and one other time… I can’t quite remember what I ate, I only recall that it was while I was an SFU student.
- I was first proposed to by an Englishman. He ended up marrying the first person he dated after we broke up, and later divorced her. Then he married a Filipina! (Another one, not me.)
- I wasn’t born in a hospital. My mother was without assistance at the time — not even a midwife was around when I decided I was ready to enter the world. You could say I was born impatient and stubborn.
- I was born in a Muslim region, but there are no Muslims in my family.
- The last smoking-enabled flight I was on was Balkan Airlines, 1995: Bangkok, Thailand to Sofia, Bulgaria, then London. I sat next to a German who offered me Camel cigarettes without filters, which he bought in Bangkok because they were cheap and unavailable in Germany (for good reason!). The Bangkok-Sofia flight was at least eight (rather turbulent) hours that I recall, and pretty gross since we were both smoking filterless Camels!
- I went camping by myself once, about 11 years ago. I borrowed a tent and a bear whistle (it was in BC bear country!).
- I have yet to take a photography class. (I’m not opposed to it, I just haven’t done it.)
- Since I hosted Ramon Stoppelenburg of LetMeStayForADay.com in Vancouver back in 2003, two Canadians and an American who met me in the East years later said they recognised me from his website.
- I’ve never bought a car, but I’ve owned three cars in my life, between the ages of 17 to the present.
- I still have my tonsils, wisdom teeth, appendix, and the other internal parts that I was born with.
- As a kid, I was so superstitious I was absolutely terrified at the prospect of turning 13.
- I was born with a head of stick-straight hair, which strangely began to turn naturally curly after I graduated from high school.
- My longest-surviving relationship was two years, and it wasn’t with anyone who I married.
- (Because I get asked this question, and related questions, often:) I am undecided about trying to have children.
- Three popular film titles I’ve never watched: Titanic, Fight Club, There’s Something About Mary.
- I was hired for a temp job once because of my handwriting.
I have a LOT of “I had to pee so badly once I…” stories, but they are far too embarrassing to have on the web. I don’t mind telling you in person if you ask.
I’m not going to tag anyone, but if you do this, please put a link to it in the comment or email it to me if you prefer not to share it with the internets.
You May Also Like
Blogging daily for 12+ years. With 5,200+ posts across 95 categories, there is something here for everyone, especially travel photography.
Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Google+.
Latest posts by Gail at Large (see all)
- Spring Forward - March 29, 2015
- National Day of Historic Centres 2015: A Porto Preview - March 28, 2015
- Flashback Friday: Grand Central Station, NYC (March 2005) - March 27, 2015