Beano was tagged by Krisanne in Facebook, but he couldn’t come up with 25 things that humans would find interesting. So here is my first meme of 2009. I think some people would know some of these things, but I don’t think any one person would know all of these things.
- I once had a job in Australia pretending to buy product from an Irish guy selling knock-off perfume on the street. There was a few of us switching various accessories like hats and sunglasses and playing along with the script. It was a real eye-opener watching consumers behave like sheep.
- Over the years I’ve spent New Year’s Eve in Scotland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Cuba, Canada, and USA. Notable ones: Christchurch, New Zealand (I was hitch hiking with three Kiwi guys), and New Orleans, USA (it was hit by arsonists).
- My father’s real family name, the name on my birth certificate, the name I graduated with in high school, and the name on my current passport are all different from each other. I also have an official UK document in one of my expired passports with another name.
- I have a scar on my left leg from a near drowning in an oceanside cave in Australia. The tide was crashing in gigantic waves and washed out my exit from the cave; I was trapped inside until a couple from Brisbane came and rescued me.
- I’ve been spat on (and not by accident).
- I wouldn’t eat bananas growing up, but I’ve learned to like them as an adult, as long as they’re not fully ripe. They make a quick, nourishing meal when I’m on the run. But overripe bananas still make me gag.
- I was bitten by a small dog once, and have been a little apprehensive of dogs ever since.
- I would like to donate blood, but I’m disqualified due to previous residency in the UK.
- I never tried seafood until I was 18 years old for religious reasons, but didn’t actually enjoy it until I was 20 when a random stranger, who picked me up on his bicycle when I was walking home late one night in northern Australia, took me into his home and made me a seafood marinara. I was so hungry it tasted like the best meal of my life. I never saw him again.
- I’ve had food poisoning three times: street vendor hot sauce in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, a green curry gone bad at office lunch on the Sunshine Coast (BC), and one other time… I can’t quite remember what I ate, I only recall that it was while I was an SFU student.
- I was first proposed to by an Englishman. He ended up marrying the first person he dated after we broke up, and later divorced her. Then he married a Filipina! (Another one, not me.)
- I wasn’t born in a hospital. My mother was without assistance at the time — not even a midwife was around when I decided I was ready to enter the world. You could say I was born impatient and stubborn.
- I was born in a Muslim region, but there are no Muslims in my family.
- The last smoking-enabled flight I was on was Balkan Airlines, 1995: Bangkok, Thailand to Sofia, Bulgaria, then London. I sat next to a German who offered me Camel cigarettes without filters, which he bought in Bangkok because they were cheap and unavailable in Germany (for good reason!). The Bangkok-Sofia flight was at least eight (rather turbulent) hours that I recall, and pretty gross since we were both smoking filterless Camels!
- I went camping by myself once, about 11 years ago. I borrowed a tent and a bear whistle (it was in BC bear country!).
- I have yet to take a photography class. (I’m not opposed to it, I just haven’t done it.)
- Since I hosted Ramon Stoppelenburg of LetMeStayForADay.com in Vancouver back in 2003, two Canadians and an American who met me in the East years later said they recognised me from his website.
- I’ve never bought a car, but I’ve owned three cars in my life, between the ages of 17 to the present.
- I still have my tonsils, wisdom teeth, appendix, and the other internal parts that I was born with.
- As a kid, I was so superstitious I was absolutely terrified at the prospect of turning 13.
- I was born with a head of stick-straight hair, which strangely began to turn naturally curly after I graduated from high school.
- My longest-surviving relationship was two years, and it wasn’t with anyone who I married.
- (Because I get asked this question, and related questions, often:) I am undecided about trying to have children.
- Three popular film titles I’ve never watched: Titanic, Fight Club, There’s Something About Mary.
- I was hired for a temp job once because of my handwriting.
I have a LOT of “I had to pee so badly once I…” stories, but they are far too embarrassing to have on the web. I don’t mind telling you in person if you ask.
I’m not going to tag anyone, but if you do this, please put a link to it in the comment or email it to me if you prefer not to share it with the internets.
You May Also Like
Blogging daily for more than 13 years. With 5,400+ posts across 95 categories, there is something here for everyone, especially travel photography.
Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Google+.
Latest posts by Gail at Large (see all)
- Festival Internacional de Teatro Cómico da Maia 2015 - October 6, 2015
- Miragaia and Alfândega, Porto - October 5, 2015
- Portuguese Rice - October 4, 2015